Friday, September 13, 2013

Next step

After realizing that I was worrying way too much about this thing being "pretty," I tried a practical approach. I did a lot more research on vocal acoustics to try to figure out the shapes that would make the most sense. This took me in an entirely different direction...
This diagram inspired the idea to look at flat planes instead of curves

Source: archinect.com

The shape wasn't the only thing I had to re-think. I mentioned early on that I wanted this to function for one or two people. That meant I needed to create something that would work from multiple sides.

Symmetrical shell with flat planes

My next goal is to explore deeper: Are the openings necessary for convenience of use? Does it make more sense for it to be entirely enclosed? How big is it? What is it made out of? Am I implementing a recording device? Only time will tell..


2 comments:

  1. ...looking forward to seeing the acoustical diagram... particularly, examining the drawing in section and plan should inform the geometry of the shell. So far, I can imagine by looking at the draft 3D model that the sound would effectively travel and be reinforced near a prospective duet partner, but having a drawing show the anticipated reflections back to the original singer would allow others to fully appreciate what you're trying to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, start thinking about the materiality and the construct-ability. The posted model reads like generic planes, but I believe the aesthetics you temporarily set aside can be brought back into the equation while this continues to develop.

    ReplyDelete